St. Mary's Royals Catholic School
611 Jennings Rd
Van Wert, OH 45891
The mission of St. Mary of the Assumption is to have religious and academic excellence go hand in hand, which will enable our students to become living examples of Christ's teachings in their community.
- St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic School is the only option for a Christ-centered education for children in grades kindergarten through sixth in Van Wert County. While adhering to the teachings of the Catholic Church, our school is open to children of all faiths.
- St. Mary’s has been educating the students of greater Van Wert area for more than 55 years. St. Mary’s is a fully accredited, non-public, charted school that meets all of the Ohio Department of Education requirements.
- Our experienced staff are fully licensed by the Ohio Department of Education and consists of caring, compassionate individuals that are committed to staying informed of and implementing current teaching methods in their classrooms.
- We offer students an alternative view to the Common Core Curriculum as we have adapted some of the basic principles of the new State curriculum to incorporate the Catholic faith and make the standards fit the needs of our students.
- As a participant in the Innovative Education Pilot Program, St. Mary’s uses project-based learning lessons in conjunction with the more traditional classroom setting to enhance student learning and create an enduring understanding of the material. These types of hands-on projects, along with a strong integration of technology throughout the lessons, help create a classroom atmosphere that engages all types of student learners. They also teach students how to both work in groups and independently to complete tasks.
- Students in Grades 1 – 3 each have their own iPads and students in Grades 4 - 6 each have their own Chromebooks, to be used in the classrooms on a regular basis. We also offer a full computer lab with 18 student use computers.
- When students leave St. Mary’s, they are equipped with not only excellent academic skills, but also the ability to make sound moral decisions when life presents them with obstacles to overcome because of our LIFE SKILLS program.
- Smaller class sizes enables our teachers to differentiate their instruction to meet the learning needs and levels of all our students. Students also have many opportunities to receive one on one instruction where needed.
- Our students participate in weekly physical education classes, art classes, library, technology classes, and music classes.
- Not Catholic, not a problem! 22% of our students are Non-Catholic. Our Non-Catholic students participate in weekly masses and religion classes. The only difference between our Catholic and Non-Catholic students is that the Non-Catholic students do not receive our Sacraments.
- Our students develop tremendous public speaking skills through various student presentations in their classrooms, during masses, and in programs performed before the general public.
- We offer a Free Morning Latchkey program that starts at 7:30am and have an After School Latchkey program that runs until 5:30pm.
- Our students participate in various educational field trips and presentations throughout the year.
- Religion classes take place each morning in every classroom.
- Masses on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Children's Liturgy on Fridays.
- Sacramental Preparation - First Reconciliation and First Communion.
- All classes do service projects.
- Grade 5 serves at the liturgies.
St. Mary's Catholic Elementary assists parents in preparing their youngsters to assume their Christian vocation. The school enables youngsters to perfect and grow in the knowledge, skills, values, and attitudes to which they are called by Jesus Christ.
Christian education in St. Mary's Elementary is intended to help students become people of faith who can experience inside and outside of the school setting -- learning and living in the light of this faith commitment. Students are instructed in human knowledge and skills in order to best relate human culture to God's plan for his evolving creation. Religious education, i.e., instruction in truths and development of values, is of primary concern. This religious education serves as the basis by which students can integrate their experience of learning and living at each state of their development.
As stated by John Cardinal Newman, "Education is praising the intellectual tone of society, cultivating the public mind, purifying the national taste, giving enlargement and sobriety to the ideas of the age, facilitating the exercise of political power and refining the intercourse of life."
The education system at St. Mary's Elementary should not merely reflect the modes and morals of the society but should lead the student into paths of improvement accepting nothing less than the individual's best. The academic program should place a high premium on excellence with an emphasis on the basics.
The educational system at St. Mary's Elementary should provide a climate in which each individual can develop a sense of self-worth and avenues and incentives for each student to have the opportunity to reach his/her fullest potential. The school must rightly concern itself with the mental development of its pupils, their social adjustment, physical well-being, spiritual and emotional growth and instill a general appreciation of education including the aesthetic aspects of it.
Looking to The Future
St. Mary's has been a leader in education over the past 50 years and is now preparing its students for the new century.
- The first to introduce school uniforms.
- The first to offer all-day, every-day kindergarten.
- The first to offer an alternative to public education.
- A state of the art Computer Lab.
- All computers are networked.
- All computers have controlled access to the internet.
- All classrooms have four or more computers for student use.
- The building has central air conditioning.
- The building has been made asbestos free.
- The faculty is trained in Educational best practices.